Sunday, June 22, 2014

Stepping Into The Unknown.


I am a girl on a journey to make her mark in this world. I follow my heart wherever it may lead me, and at this point in time it has led me to take a job over the summer in Sant Cugat del Valles, Spain (Outside of Barcelona). Why Spain you may ask? Well to be honest, I have no idea. In short, I was given an opportunity that was put in my lap, and I would be crazy to pass it up. Although, a year ago accepting a job in Spain for the summer never would have crossed my mind.


A year ago I was ring shopping, looking at apartments, buying furniture, and planning a future with someone special. Laying in bed at night wondering to myself.. am I making the right decision? Am I ready for this big step? Well truth be told we both weren't ready to take the step. At only 20 years old we were scared and decided we weren't ready for the commitment. It completely broke my heart in ways I didn't understand was possible. But, it was the right thing to do.

SIDE NOTE: If you were hoping for dirty details on my break up, unfortunately there are none. He is one of the best people I know, and we still talk on a regular basis. Timing just wasn't in our favor. Instead our journeys at this point are to figure out who we are.  

Back to the story...After we broke up I was watching people around me getting married, having kids, and living their happy lives. I felt very alone. But I decided this was my time. My time to find myself. I wasn't being punished, but rather given a second chance. So instead of focusing on what made us happy it was time to figure out what made me happy.


So I began my pursuit of happiness through picking up the pieces and starting to do what I loved again. I was on a mission to figure out what made my soul come alive. An obvious conclusion came out... TRAVEL.


So not to go all Eat, Pray, Love on you... BUT. I sold my half of all of the apartment treasures we repurposed or bought for cash for a big adventure that wasn't even planned. I began looking at ways to get out of my home town and venture into the unknown. I became inspired by books like Wild, or Eat, Pray, Love. Reading stories of these courageous women who went out into the world SOLO and rocked it.

I wanted to be one of those women. A solo BA woman, who could do anything she put her mind to. Yes, I have traveled before with my two best friends: traveling the East Coast, Backpacking Europe, Studying Abroad in Florence, Italy, and our journey to Nicaragua meeting our sponsored children. But this solo experience I know will be completely different, and in many ways liberating (Although I am going to miss my partners in crime more than anything in this world).

 
 
When I accepted the job in Spain I was completely scared, and still am. I leave tomorrow, but I am excited to grow in this experience and take every little moment in. It's time to do what makes me happy and embrace every aspect to its fullest.



 

2 comments:

  1. Best wishes on your goal of traveling solo and having a blast. I look forward to reading your blog. I was one of Amanda Yancey's teachers at Sprague and I love reading her blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to read my first blog post. I'm excited to know that you will be following my posts! Amanda is one of my very good friends, and I also enjoy her writing. She's amazing! Thanks again. :)

      Delete